Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Good Test

I've been off of Concerta now for over a week. This is due, mostly, to the fact that I am wrestling with my insurance company about getting my prescription, which is a royal pain in the butt.

That said, I'm sorta glad for this, because it serves as a good test. The test, being on and then back off of medication, is a good way to contrast the difference and get a feel for what it really does. And it does a lot of good.

Without medication my racing thoughts have returned, my frustration tolerance is back to being very low and my ability to focus is, well, as bad as it always was.

Another thing I have realized is that there is a way to maximize the benefit of medication while limiting it's use. I think I'll only take medication when I need it, that being prior to large social situations and work. You know, for the most part, I like myself, and I find my quirks to be somewhat admirable personality traits.

There are those aspects of my life, however, that ADHD can be crippling. Hey, I don't want to go through life medicated. Not for a moment. So I think the wise thing is to limit the medication to the lowest amount necessary.

My Psychiatrist agrees that this is a good idea.

(The situation with the insurance company will be resolved, it just takes an unfortunate amount of time.)

5 comments:

Snaggle Tooth said...

Good Luck with the RX!

Nice template (just like mine)!
Blue is very calming...

David Edward said...

Praying for you brother, and for the insurance dummies to get with it!

David Edward said...

is that a picture of your Brain???

AngelConradie said...

i do hope your insurance is sorted out... my darling damien is an ADHDer too and he likes to read your posts (or i read them to him). he's also on concerta and he says he can feel a very distinct difference between on meds and of them- fitting your description.
thanx again for sharing!

MTR said...

"is that a picture of your Brain???"

YES!

;-)